Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tokyo Hibachi & Sushi - Dec 26th, 2011

      Lafayette has had a hard time getting a good restaurant to replace what once was Bennigan's.   No matter what opened, it closed within months.  The Tilted Kilt was the first to come and go.  The layout was pretty much the same as Bennigan's, but the food was not good.  It became a gimmick restaurant (like Hooter's, but with worse food).  To be perfectly honest, it was one of the worst restaurants I've ever been to.  How are you going to hold an Irish celebration at a Scottish restaurant?  Yet you were actually surprised when you had to close the doors for good?  Then it became River City (or something like that).  To be honest, I can't say as to why it closed.  It closed before I had the opportunity to even eat there (about 30 days after it opened).


Not knowing what to expect, I was excited to try this new restaurant.  Opening the front doors of what used to be an Irish Pub, I was met with quite a surprise.

      I walked in, was immediately seated after being asked if I wanted a table or hibachi, and couldn't stop looking around in amazement.  This place is somewhat traditional in its Far East Asian design, but with a massive modern influence.  I couldn't believe how stunning the place was.

 On the back side of the wall you see when you first walk in is this waterwall, with a small pond, built in to the floor. 


 All the dividing glass pieces are etched with beautiful intricate designs.


The Sushi bar does have a rather large flat screen which takes away from the traditional feel, but the beams above your head, wrapped in rope at the ends surely make up for it.  (And the Bruce Lee action figures on the corner provide a whimsical touch.)

       After scouring the rather large menu (for almost 15 minutes), trying to figure out what I wanted to try,  I finally made my decision.  While it was painfully obvious that my server was very new to the profession, he was not a bad server.  Refills were brought before my glass was even half empty.  I stopped another server on his way to the back and asked for an extra plate.  This gentleman, not only brought me the plate I asked for, but even he checked back to make sure I did not need anything.

       After a relatively short (approximately) six minute wait, my food arrived.  The plating was very clean.  Nothing on my plate looked like it was just thrown on it.  It was all carefully placed.  My udon was cooked perfectly.  The meat was slightly overdone.  It wasn't burnt, by any means, but it was a little dry.  The seasoning was not overpowering, and my food was still full of its natural flavors. The plate was rather large, making my portion look small, but that is just me being nit-picky.

      My only REAL complaint about this restaurant is the price.  While not exorbitant, it was a couple of dollars more than the other hibachi/sushi restaurants in Lafayette.  It's been a while since lunch for 2 cost me $30.  Was this a good restaurant? Yes.  Was the extra few bucks worth the good service? Yes.  How about the cleanliness?  This restaurant was immaculate.  There was nothing on the floor and the glasses, silverware, and plates all sparkled.  As long as the employees don't get lazy, this restaurant will be a constant contender to separate me from my money.  Tokyo Japanese on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment